Sunday, September 16

Streamy - Not A Digg Killer After All

Streamy, ever since it showed of its screencast, has been generating a of hype, and had gotten a lot of press. Whenever I read about Streamy, it was being heralded as a Digg killer, and being an avid Digg user I was aware of Digg's many shortcomings and couldn't wait to try out Streamy. After waiting eagerly for months, I finally managed to snag an invite to Streamy, but now that I finally got in, I must say that I'm rather disappointed. The design of the site is very sleek and aesthetically pleasing, and the way stories are displayed within the site is awesome but that's pretty much where it stops being awesome.

First of all, Streamy's content is not submitted by its users, rather Streamy sort of crawls the web to mind the most popular news for a category. Not only does this mean that you won't be getting any unique stories from lesser known sources, but also this causes Streamy to get a lot of dupes whenever multiple blogs talk about the same topic (which happens a lot for popular stories). The navigation is confusing as hell, with a lot of unnecessary features shoved into your face (ie. a networking sidebar, and a topics sidebar takes up half the page), and because the site is still fairly new there isn't a huge thriving community leaving hordes of hilarious, witty, and/or stupidly enjoyable comments on each story (which is in my opinion is the best part of Digg).

Anyway, I have only been using Streamy for a couple of days - totaling an hour or so (its not as addictive as Digg) - so maybe its too soon to really "get into" this site and realize its full potential, but what I could make out so far, Streamy is more like Google Reader, minus the simplicity, plus a social network, and while that might end up being a good thing, it's no where near being either a Digg-Killer or a Google Reader-Killer.

P.S. Anyone wanting to try out Streamy, please leave a comment and I'll invite you .

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree. I was turned on by the extreme hype and begged and pleaded to get an invite. I finally did and loaded it right up. I will say that since I don't use an RSS reader at all, this makes a nice one. Plus it will remember what I have and haven't read if I'm at home or at work. But I do think that it is a bit overrated but still a decent tool.

Unknown said...

Could you please send me an invite to Streamy to aemberleyn@gmail.com?

Thanks:-)

Anonymous said...

Would like a stream invite if you have any left... samholton2 at gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Can I please have an invite? its.jay25[at]gmail.com

Anonymous said...

would like a streamy invite.
giwunder at yahoo.com

Thanks

Anonymous said...

I would really appreciate a streamy invite.

Thanks
echelon123_2@hotmail.com

Zambi said...

I would like an invite if you have any left :)
Thanks

theadb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
theadb said...

I would like an invite please!
theadb AT ymail DOT com

Anonymous said...

Great work.

Anonymous said...

i really want to try this service. thanks! naxosubscriber[at]yahoo.es